September 12, 2014

Eight Years


A lot of friends have recently brought up the fact that they think I should start blogging again. One friend pointed out that September is the 8 year mark for Crooked Stream. (WHAT? 8 years? Can we all take a moment of silence here to freak out that 8 years just whizzed by? Thanks.) Anyway, and the book I'm reading is encouraging you to define your vision for photography with what's true to you, because that is where you will blossom the most. 
Of course, this all got me thinking...  

I didn't realize why I stopped blogging until people asked. Blogging isn't my favorite thing... which is weird, because I like writing and photography, so it should be a perfect fit, right? But there was something about it that I didn't like, and I never thought about it long enough to put a finger on it, until now...  

I love tangible things, I love paper, I love talking with people and sharing real life stories.  I even notice the eye color of pretty much 99% of everyone I talk to. (random note) When I'd sit down to blog, most of those meaningful-to-me things vanished. There was no paper, no people, and there was definitely no "being open" when I knew every single thing I posted would circulate through the whole world wide web. Is that worth it? Honestly, in the end, is it worth it? I guess my answer was no and I didn't even realize I felt that way... Blogging just faded away in the light of being able to write on paper and talk to faces. Those things were just SO much BETTER! There wasn't a conscious choice involved to stop blogging, it just naturally happened: blogging lost.

I still use this site to showcase photography jobs, but I don't showcase my life here... Which got me thinking: how could I share my life and photography in a more "true to myself" way? By now, we could guess it would involve paper, talking to people, and telling stories to a more intimate crowd than all of cyberspace. The first thing that came to my mind was photojournalism. Maybe I will start my own printing press in the basement. Hey, that's a good idea! 

At any rate, happy 8 years, Crooked Stream!


3 comments:

Kristin P said...

I can completely relate to this sentiment, Kami! Congrats on 8 years, and thank you for sharing so many beautiful everyday moments through your pictures!

Mrs. S said...

Oh fun! I want to receive your hand printed photo journal periodical! ;)

canvas prints said...

Such an awesome photography shoot you have here.