July 7, 2009

Adventures in Beekeeping!



First off, our Spring started out with one honeybee swarm....
It flew high into the treetops, unreachable, on the side of a valley.

One week later, came this swarm. . .and two days later came yet another! Ben and I threw on our beekeeping veils and headed out to try and capture both swarms.

We were thrilled beyond words, and I am happy to say, both were a success!


^*photography by Gabe!





^*photography by Gabe!



^*photography by Gabe!






The first swarm we caught, now at home with our original big hive!


Next, the guys built 4 more Western supers to have in stock for our new colonies! Gracie helped me do the painting, and oh boy! did we enjoy making them pretty!

Out came the stencils and colorful paints!

To close our big day of beekeeping, we all had a delightful tea party~ along with Mom's delicious Strawberry jam and... fresh honey!



You will smile to know~ We named them~ Periwinkle
~ Fairybell
~ and Beatrix.
:)

~*~ What an amazing creation honeybees are! ~*~

1 comment:

Ella said...

I adore this post Kam! I've heard the whole story of your experience with the bees, it was so fun to have it illustrated!! :D

Mmmm... are those your famous biscuits on the table? I wish I could've attended such a dainty tea! :D

Love you!!!