May 30, 2009

Memorial Day Tribute

I wanted to say, THANK YOU, to all of our soldiers.









I loved this calm and nostalgic "Norman Rockwell" feeling in the midst of this
modern day hustle-bustle.



Let us never forget.

"He will redeem my soul in peace from the battle which is against me, for they are many who strive with me." Psalm 55:18



~~*~~
Now, before closing...I had to tell of a remarkable little hen.
~We got her on my birthday- 8 years ago.
~She was already 1 year old, at least.
~Since then, she has lived through a Coccidiosis epidemic that spread through all 27 of our chickens, killing every single one, except her.
~Lost one of her toes and all of her leg scales from another epidemic- leg mites.
~Survived category 4 hurricane force winds during a HUGE winter storm, all feathers still attached.
~Hatched countless batches of chicks.
~She loved to hang out around the kids.
In fact, that is where I got these pictures: she was just standing right there by the family campfire.
~Obviously, you could reach down and pick her up with little effort.
~She loved to roost on the back of the goats...sometimes with her whole little brood.
That was comical.


The list could go on and on, seriously.

She was famous for her classy hairstyles.
Henny Penny died on Memorial Day. No, not from dive-bombing hawks, pesky Coyotes or any tragedies... she simply died from old age. The boys used one of their train bird houses as a coffin...definitely the first animal on our property to have such an honor :) ... And Ben told me, "This is an expensive coffin, Kam, but she was a gooooooood chicken!!!". (Haha!)

There's only a couple family pets that grow on you as the kids grow up, she was one of ours~
Ben's last words were, "This Train is Bound for Glory!".
That gave me a good laugh!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Great pictures of the airplanes!

I'm sorry about your chicken! We have some friends who had a chicken like that... it lived for, I think, 10 years?... and just recently died. Anyway, that's neat how your hen survived so much! :-) She must have been a fun pet.
I like the train coffin! :-)

I am writing back to your email! :-)

Laura said...

Aw! So sorry to hear about your Henny Penny . . . :( *hugs*

Bisceglia Family said...

Awwww, what a dear hen story!!! She was so cute. And my, she must have had at least as many lives as a cat! :)

I love the memorial day/airplane photos! Artsy photography has such a way of capturing feeling and emotions. Great job!

Love you ~ Kathrina

SisterlyLove said...

Oh... What a lovely story! And I love her 'haristyle'. =]
Wonderful pictures!
~Marguerite

SisterlyLove said...

Oops! I forgot to tell you... I did a post about your movie on our blog! We've been watching it over and over! hee hee! I miss you girls so much!
Love, Marguerite

A Joyful Chaos said...

I'm sorry about your chicken. I did enjoy reading the funeral details. Thanks for sharing.

altonwoods said...

priceless...I raise chickens and I also enjoy their distinct personalities. You have a lovely blog here and it's so clear that you are deeply in love with life, and that you know who to thank for it, remain greatly blessed! Jeff