October 13, 2008

Gift Idea~ Butternut Squash Soup



A couple of years ago my Aunt gave us a gift...It was a simply wonderful, cheery, and practical gift! Ever since then we have been in love with this new "Butternut Squash Soup" recipe! Fall is now here...And we have been coming away from "Jay's Fruit Stand" with such lovely Autumn squash!

Let me add, that this weekend was my sweet, newlywed sister's birthday!!! (Happy Birthday, Keslie!!!) I had been thinking about what would suit her the best for a gift this year...hmmm...Oh, of course! The fixings for a hot soup during this crisp season as newlyweds! Ha, perfect!!! So, off shopping I went to buy the dry ingredients that I would be able wrap as a gift for this recipe:
~Butternut Squash Soup~
Saute' in 1/4 cup olive oil:
-2 onions, diced
-6 garlic cloves, minced
-1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
Add 10 cups of chicken stock, 6 cups peeled and diced butternut squash. Bring to boil, add 1/2 cup rice, 1 tsp salt, and black pepper to taste. Bring back to boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. Remove 2 cups and puree', return to soup. Stir in one cup freshly chopped parsley and garnish with Parmesan cheese...Yum!


And for a bonus, if you're the type that likes to add to or change a recipe according to what you have on hand, ;) I'll tell you, it still is turns out to be perfectly delicious!!!

So, in parting- have fun and play around with some of my favorite Autumn ideas!~

7 comments:

KRP said...

Oooooo, sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing! =)

(The pictures are gorgeous - they belong in a recipe book...)

Eleree said...

Kami! Kami! It looks ever so yummy, and makes me miss you more than ever.:)

Emma

Morgan said...

This looks delicious! We have a bumper-crop of squash to use up this year, so we will definitely have to give this recipe a try! How are you doing, Kam? I hope you're doing well this week! Love you guys!

Eleree said...

We tagged you for a meme!! Do you mind?

Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously going crazy way down here far away from you.


Emma

Ella said...

Ohhh...Kami! I looks and sounds so delicious! Must you really make my mouth water??? ;-)

Love you so much! And trying to contain my daily excitement. ;)

~Jo

Sarah said...

Hi there! It was so good to see you at the Cider Press! I am sorry I didn't get to visit with you more. I got so busy with the pie contest that it just didn't work to connect again. Hope to see you again soon. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oh Kami! Keslie brought some of this soup to our house on Monday and it was terrific! I loved it!

Love you girl!
heather