March 22, 2008

Resurrecting Pine


It was Friday afternoon when I heard the splash...

I was in the other room working on preparations for our Sunday guests, and Keslie was at the counter dying 3 dozens of Easter eggs with Ben and Annie... (It's Dad's newly invented tradition to shoot them with hand guns and rifles instead of hunting them!) I knew what the splash was, but I didn't know it was red. It was almost as if we all gathered around and just stared in shock at the red dye that was pouring down the bar stools and dripping from the counter. So, Dad called Mom who was running the last minute errands and asked if she could pick up some stuff to scrub this mess off of our Pine floors. Well, that finished up that and it looked so clean after we were done scrubbing.
Almost too clean...
So then Mom came up with the brilliant idea that tomorrow we should scrub the whole kitchen, under the bar stools, and over the walkway to the pantry, before our company comes that weedend...Seriously.

Bright and early the next morning found me on the kitchen floor working with Mom. Even though we're morning people, we didn't even find the chance to get ready for the day, so Mom and I were sitting there in our pj's vacuuming and scrubbing away... =) My mind was actually thinking what amazing pictures I could be getting down here, so I decided to take a break and go get my camera... ;)
After a while, Dad came in and was somehow...very inspired. ;) He said that he thinks he should stain it tonight. I know Mom too well. She's a planner-aheader, a scheduler. She'd have everything in little time slots if life was that predictable. ;) So, needless to say, Mom wasn't too hot on the idea.

Let's say, Dad's ideas are not as predictable. When the vision comes to him, he'll do it. When he's ready, he's ready. No time slots. ...After a little practical convincing on my end, I helped her realize that we need to get the stain down while "the Stainer" is hot and revvin' to go.
She agreed.

By noon my brothers and sisters all chipped in on the next half of the floors, and we all just pretended that we were working together on a ship's deck...


That evening Dad broke out the Waterlox. It's his all-time favorite vintage sealer/finish. -Since 1916-
Looks like Gabe likes it too!

And, boy, did it look good!

We had the wood stove fired up, and I thought it was mighty cozy!


Mom's in love.


...Or was the reason we kept up for so long, was because we are expecting 20 people over for dinner in about...15 hours? I better go finish up some things and get to bed... For tomorrow brings joy to my heart...

He has risen!

9 comments:

Mrs. Honey Bee said...

Oh, Kami, I love you! Happy Resurrection Day! Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Resurrection Day Kami!!! (Mrs. Honey Bee, we call it that too:D) I LOVE your post, it is my favorite so far;). All the photos are just...beautiful. And I love you so much! I hope you had a wonderful, blessed day.

Praise the Lord!!!

~Ellie

Deovin1 said...

How exciting!! I heard about the "little" spill and can just picture you all scrubbing like a bunch of sailors. Great pictures!

belovedrose85 said...

Lol, I love your family's version of "hunting" Easter eggs! :P

Miss C the Second said...

Thank you *all*!
Yes! Happy Resurrection Day to you guys!!! I hope this Sunday was filled with many joys and much peace. I must say, we were blessed with a very wonderful day...And the company loved our "new floors" and Beadboard/Waynes Coating that Dad put up under the counter. =)

Liv said...

You take the best pictures. you just have an eye for it. I watched ya'lls movies...Very funny!
God Bless.

In Christ,
Liv

Liv said...

Oh and i saw on your profile that you like reenacting. just wanted to what kind of reenacting you do? We(our family) does Civil War reenacting.

Miss C the Second said...

Thank you, Liv! I'm very glad to hear that you liked my pictures and our funny movies..Haha! Those are...yeah...really off the wall movies!

Yes! We do Civil War reenacting too. That's really neat. We love it.

Jerry said...

Great pictures! The new floors look excellent.